Wednesday 20 June 2012

I decided to resurrect this blog to use as my grown up news page (I can mostly be found on tumblr but the nature of that is somewhat unprofessional).

Since I last posted I finished my degree and currently exist in post BA purgatory. More info on my graduate degree show shortly. I hope to use this blog to share my ideas and writing and save my tumblr for gifs and witty one liners.

I still find it kind of difficult to talk my work, especially whatever it is I have just finished. I have been working as a tour guide for the whole degree show and today I had to explain this piece to some 14 year olds.

We Buy Art- 2012
I'm still trying to get the whole "online/irl artist" balance right, I don't really want to be a sculptor per se but I like the aesthetic of stuff.  Objectively I could say this represents a lot about my about anxieties working in "virtual reality" and the value placed upon physical art. I'm still not sure.

Writing an artist statement is just about my worst nightmare, it's akin to writing the "about me" on your MySpace back in 2005 or your OkCupid in 2012 . Trying to be arch, I copied and pasted a quote once attributed to Mdme De Gaulle in a totally deadpan manner, I haven't had a message since.
Out of my insistence that my artist statement should definitely be a one liner (the only sort o joke I can tell without cracking up) came a new strategy. Why should my artist statement be one sheet of A4 when it could be 140 characters?


So every day I am going to post a new artist statement at twitter.com/loisjpg. Maybe at the end of the year I'll print them all out and do something with them or maybe that's the exact opposite of what needs to happen.

1 comments:

Anonymous

I am glad marvelous writing! I must say i appreciated reading through that, tonsil stones you can be a terrific novelist.For certain i will make sure to lesezeichen yuor web blog Satellite direct review and often will commonly keep coming back in the foreseeable future. Let me support you'll carry on ones own awesome posts, have a very good wonderful holiday vacation penis advantage review end of the week!

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist G' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP